Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The Monopod


The Mount Redoubt cataclysm seems to be kind of a fizzle. Like the swine flu pandemic. I'm glad about the flu but since the volcano didn't affect me I was hoping for something more spectacular.

I once lived and worked closer to Redoubt than brother Mark, on an oil platform in Cook Inlet, The Monopod.

I was a "bullcook" which means my boss was the cook and my job was to be a janitor/dishwasher.

I spent a lot of time keeping the hallways clean. Especially the ones coming directly from outside where the roughnecks would plod in with their oil soaked boots.

One day the mail delivered new hi-tech mats from 3M to be placed in front of the entryways and to soak up all the oil. It did such a good job that I found I had many hours less work to do and began to worry if my job might be terminated.


And then a depressing thought came to me. Here I was a promising young man with a bachelors degree in philosophy and I was anxious because my job might be lost to a door mat!

2 comments:

northberger said...

Great post, Dan.

Mark, is the monopod still there? And, if so, does the bullcook position still exist?

Dancelot said...

I "googled" bullcook and the only thing I found was that it was a job in the lumbering of the 19th century. Basically the lowest of the low whose first job of the day was to wake up very early and feed the bulls. I don't know if that is correct, but I can assure you I was the lowest of the low on the Monopod. The money was however great. I paid off my college loans in 6 months!