Monday, October 24, 2011

Jet Lag

Mark says, "We want more" of the Paris trip.

That's a dangerous thing to say to someone fresh home from a vacation with hundreds of photos.  But then again, why not?  It don't cost nothing.

Day one was my first experience of jet lag.  We arrived in Paris about the time I usually go to bed (midnight), but it was early morning.

The bus from the airport let us off at "Opera".  I earlier  said it was Hugo's Opera, but Victor Hugo did not write Phantom of the Opera.

We meandered two blocks south westerly and here's an edifice that looks like a roman temple (see first picture).  It's the church of Madeline built by Napoleon to celebrate a military victory. That's my dear friend Dr. Richard Ralph Roach next to Jo.

Then we meandered two blocks further south and there's an obelisk.  It's an Egyptian artifact from the time of the Israel captivity in Egypt.  The obelisk is centered on the place where the guillotine once slaughtered thousands during The Revolution with hundreds of thousands crowded in to cheer and be entertained.

We head east toward the Louvre through a "garden" filled with statues.  I wandered up towards one and find it is a Greek statue from the time of Plato.

Until this trip I had never been outside North America.  This first day where I'm in a sleepless fog, even now, feels like a dream.

No comments: