Thursday, January 12, 2012

How to type José with the accent mark on the "e"

Hi all,

I found this explanation in the Blogger Help... The correct code for the é is ALT-130.

Note that the ALT-130 method may not work in other apps. For example, it doesn't work for me in MS Word, where I type CTRL+<'>+<e> instead (single quote).

Dan - You're not the only one that has used Hosea instead of José! Is it a "right brain" phenomenon??



There are two ways I know of. One would be to open your word processor, click insert symbol, and find the appropriate accented letter and copy it and paste it in. That is a bit cumbersome.

The other is to use the ALT +number pad. An example, hold down the ALT key and key in 164 on the number pad and you will get ñ--also useful in Spanish. I don't know all the ALT +# symbols by heart--only a few that I use often. I made myself a cheat sheet by trying all of them. I only have to refer to it to find the one I need. Here's a site with a chart of all of them. http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/altchrc.html It's the first one that came up in a Google search.

2 comments:

Dancelot said...

José José José Neat!

Anonymous said...

I'd say it's right brain phenomenon. My husband keeps spelling Jose "Hosea". I keep explaining why he's wrong, but he's a musician and keeps writing it incorrectly...