Tuesday, October 24, 2006

At Last




This slide had a date posted on it. Let's see who can guess closest to the year and month when this photo was taken. Jonathan could identify all the Stynsbergs in this photo but that stray boy in the front baffled him. I told him, "You see him every Sunday in church!" And that did it.


Finally, I'm beginning to scan the "Stynsberg" slides. (I'm using "Stynsberg" as a shorthand for slides taken by Stynsbergs before or after our families merged) It's a good thing too cuz there's been a lack of content to the family blog lately. This should keep things hopping for a few months.


Scanning these slides is for me. . .complicated. So I'd like to take a little time, at the beginning, to clarify some things.


1. With the slides of my youth I knew instantly the emotional value of any particular photo. But there are many of these slides that could be invaluable to some of you and I wouldn't have a clue. That's why the plan is for me to scan them and then pass them all on to Paul. Paul will incorporate them into the other slides he scanned, perhaps post a few more to the family blog, and eventually pass them all onto the rest of us.


2. The boxes of slides I got from Dean were a jumbled mess. I spent quite some time trying to sort them.
A. Thankfully, some have dates stamped on them. But sometimes there were three or four "packets" of slides with the same date. I tried to guess by content and number which went with which.
B. There were many that had no date stamped. But it's amazing how much one can sort by just comparing the frames. Almost every "Packet" frame was slightly different from every other.
C. When it comes to 35mm film it's amazing how often the slides of that era varied. Some were 35 mm square, others 35 mm rectangle. The slide I'm showing with this post was 27 by 27. (which have to be scanned individually in advanced mode!)
D. And eventually we'll come to the slides circa 5th street which are all 24 by 12 and have no markings whatever. I'm hoping you all will be able to help me group those.
E. And last but not least there were "orphans". A slide or two that bore few markings and no relation to the larger packets. I'm guessing that some of these orphans belong with packets that Paul has.


3. The conclusion of item 2 above is that I'm hoping, in the posting of samples from these slides, that some of you will be able to establish context and date when it's unclear.


4. Regarding the "Lindstrom" slides, I have a few additions to make and then I will burn them to CD and send them on to everyone to do with as they please.

7 comments:

ms said...

Thanks for the blog post!!! I thought everyone was gone. This photo is definitely from June 1972.

Dancelot said...

Nope. Not June. Not 1972. But you're close. I suppose it should be clarified that the date on the photo is when it was developed not when it was taken - which complicates things.

By the way. . .there's a particular smile I credit to the Stynsberg genes. Many smiles are like a "C" on its side, like a bowl. And there are smiles like a "V". Both are in evidence in this photo. But then there is a smile kind of like a "W". Jean has it. In this photo it looks to me like Tim has it too. In Greg and Denise's family, Katy has it.

My smile, by the way, is pathetic. When I smile my mouth actually goes down, like an upside down bowl. Go figure.

Dancelot said...

I should add that Mark's guess is a good one. I'm assuming he took into consideration the facts that it is taken in West Duluth, they're wearing summer clothes and Steve, Dan and Mark are noticibly absent.

northberger said...

Are you sure this is West Duluth? I'm going to guess August of 1971 on Halsey St. Look at this picture of Halsey Street from my post of Nov 29 of last year:
http://snipurl.com/10i8w

Notice the pictures on the wall and the lamp.

What do I win?

Dancelot said...

Aargh! This afternoon I thought to myself, "Did I say West Duluth? I meant to say Halsey." So I was hoping the blooper would go unoticed until I got here to fix it. Yes, yes, yes. It's Halsey. Ok Mr. Smart Guy?

And I'll declare Paul the winner while I'm at it. The photos were developed in September of 1971. But I'm guessing the Travailles were visiting before school started so August is a very good guess.

Mark was already in Alaska. Steve was in Montreal. I left for Alaska in June of '71.

DeanTheBean said...

Oops, I didn't get my vote in early enough... But that's OK. I would have guessed too early. I noticed I don't have my glasses yet. I was thinking I got them earlier, but I guess I didn't get them until about 12th grade.

What really got me with this was Laurie! She looks like a cartoon character! Can't think of who...

DeanTheBean said...

Pippi Longstocking!