Friday, March 20, 2009

The Perfect Bowl of Cereal

I figure that we can get some feedback on what makes a perfect bowl of cereal. Just remember that you saw it here first, even before being submitted to COOK'S Illustrated magazine. This is how to make the best bowl of cereal:

1. Add the following berries (frozen in winter or fresh in summer) blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches... Pour in some milk and cream.
2. Smash up the blueberries and raspberries and slice up the strawberries. Next add some bananas and some pecans and cashews.
3. Crush up some frosted shredded wheat and on top of that add Quakers natural granola with raisins. Get it all wet with milk and eat all of it with a large spoon. You may have to add cereal to use up the milk; then you might have to add some milk to use up the cereal; and so on.

6 comments:

Dancelot said...

I take this as a challenge! Even though I don't eat breakfast unless I'm forced. And I know everyone says it's healthier to eat breakfast. But I will have to interject into this challenge my wife's breakfast of choice that comes straight from Cook's Illustrated. The base of which is TOASTED STEEL CUT OATS!!!!!

Dancelot said...

Yes, toasted steel cut oats are memorable! Mark, your fresh raspberries, blueberries and strawberries are perfect! ( I'm wondering what the purpose of smooshing the fruit is....To me, they are visually more beautiful "as is.") To the oats I would add tart cherry juice concentrate (Ask Dan for details.) Real maple syrup and Trader Joe's natural plain yogurt can be a delicious change of pace from milk and cream. Blessings on all of our heads......Jo

grandmajean said...

I guessed it was Mark's post without looking at the name. Mark love's breakfast as do I. I love your ideas for fruit and nuts but I don't like sweet cereal. Any high fiber cereal without added sweetener. I also love Malt O Meal,oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, eggs. Gwyn and Rhi like "juicy eggs", (sunny side up), but I won't serve them to them "raw" like they like them. For me, the more variety the better.
It was sure fun to hear from Jo!

ms said...

Actually i usually eat some fruit when waking up and through the morning. A couple times a week i make up this bowl of cereal for lunch when not having waffles or pancakes (that will be another post).

Years ago this is what i ate while watching Star Trek on Friday night or was it Saturday night? When did they stop that show?

PS Instead of cream you can use ice cream along with the milk. Cold cereal is best.

northberger said...

Raisins?

DeanTheBean said...

I'll add my vote for steel cut oats. We just put it in the mini crock and let it cook overnight. In the morning, we add chopped apples, raisins (yes, raisins, Paul), chopped dried apricots, and chopped walnuts.