Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Cervidae!

Paul wanted photographic proof of 8 things. My original plan was to display the six we had and then, in some witty way, concede defeat regarding Fish and Deer.

I didn't feel so bad about the lack of a deer. We saw deer in middle Canada but didn't think it worth the time to stop and take pictures. Besides, we knew Paul's Deer was a dirty trick since there are no deer in Alaska or the Yukon. (A few by Sitka but that's not accessible by road.)

But last night, when I was putting together the display leading up to the forgotten halibut in Homer, Jon came up and asked what I was doing. I told him. And I finished my explanation by saying, "Now we only lose cuz of the stupid deer." Jonathan turns to go up and get a snack and says casually, "A moose is a deer you know."

A MOOSE IS A DEER!!! Er, I mean. . .a moose is a deer. You can look it up. Cervidae is known as the deer family. Here's a quote from zoobooks.com

Did you know that a moose is a also deer? Yes, the moose is the biggest member of the deer family. Our moose has three spots where you can pet her. Find them
to learn more about the deer family.
Or try this from Enchanted Learning

Deer are mammals that belong to the family Cervidae. There are many
species in the deer family, including various types of deer, moose, elk (wapiti), caribou, and reindeer. Some deer species are social, but others are solitary.
So that means. . .

This is a deer.


And this is a deer.


.

.

.

.

And this is a deer too.

3 comments:

northberger said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge.

Since your a big Twins fan I think the appropriate prize for you will be a link to one of the best Twins blogs out there. It's called SethSpeaks and it's written by an aquaintance who works at Marvins. It's very well written - I read it every day - even in the off season.
http://www.sethspeaks.net/

northberger said...

...oops... I spelled 'you're' wrong. I hate myself when I don't proof-read my entries.

Dancelot said...

Wahoo!