Sunday, December 31, 2006

Christmas Day at Ralph and Jean's

Ralph and Jean hosted the Christmas Day brunch...























The highlight of the day, of course, was a rousing game of Scum. Mark, do you all play Scum up there? (There are other names for the game also such as President, King, and ##%&*@#!) You don't have to play with hats, but it sometimes helps the Scum know their place (see above). I never made it to the executive office, but I derived a lot of enjoyment trash talking my opponents.

3 comments:

DeanTheBean said...

Paul, Since you introduced us to scum a few years ago, let me assure you it has spread to lots of other gatherings that Kurt and I have been to. Every time we introduce the game of scum to people that have never played it before, they always really like it and usually want to play again the next time we meet.

northberger said...

We played about a dozen rounds of Scum last night. I was either scum or vice scum all night! It was pretty frustrating. Finally on the last hand I was able to graduate to peon.

An interesting addition was that the president could make a rule for every hand such as - whenever a person passed they had to say "hail to the king"... another president had us make an animal sound every time we passed. Another time we all had to avert our eyes when the president played a card. It was a hoot.

DeanTheBean said...

We introduced the game to a group of friends recently. One of the young ladies is a college student. She didn't recognize the game by the name of "Scum", but when we started played, she perked up and said, "Oh, this is the same as 'Presidents and A______'. This is a drinking game. You're supposed to take a drink every time you pass". Everyone loved the game. We played until pretty late. I was all over the table from vice president to vice scum and everything in between. I had as much fun at vice scum as I had at vp. I spent more time than I ever have trying to figure out strategy.