Thursday, November 15, 2007

Helen


We're up to the fateful year of 1961. This is from a batch labeled 2-16-61, so I'm assuming this is actually from the previous summer. This is my favorite slide of them all.
1. It is perhaps trite to say it because it is so obvious, but I will nevertheless say it. . .Helen was a beautiful woman.
2. From the stories I've heard and the portrait of these slides, it appears that she had an internal beauty to match the outward.
3. All her life Jean has been told how much she looks like Helen. That has been, I'm sure and I know, a mixed blessing.
4. Also in these photos I see images of her grand-daughters. In one I'll think "that looks like Katy" and in another "there's Heidi". They're lucky. It helps to explain why we have so many lovely grand-daughters running around.
5. The external beauty of the three grand-sons is still being debated.

3 comments:

northberger said...

It's funny, it's been 46 years - my memories are faint - in a sense I hardly knew her - and yet, looking at these pictures my eyes tear up and the same feeling has come up many times: I miss her!

Dancelot said...

I wasn't even around and my eyes have gotten moist many times. It's so sad.

grandmajean said...

I'm so thankful to have had a Dad that kept Mom's memory alive for us. [That was not true for Ralph's Aunt Jean (who happened to be married to Ralph) as far as her children and their Dad.] Dad loved Helen and we knew that. We knew he loved our Mom and I remember him saying at a real young age that because he loved Mom (Helen) so much he wanted to be married again. I wasn't threatened by that.