Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Regina Spektor

A friend from church handed me an issue of the Smithsonian magazine entitled "37 of America's Young Innovators in the Arts and Sciences". She gave it to me because one of the 37 was Sufjan Stevens who I mentioned earlier. Well lo and behold but another of the entries was for another of my favorite new voices - Regina Spektor.

Sufjan wove biblical images and aspects of his faith pilgrimage into his songs. Regina doesn't do anything like that. I just like her melodic voice and the playful way she unfolds the lyric. You can sample her songs in the Imeem box or click the following link for one of my favorite songs. (Ignore the video - shut your eyes and just listen) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTDRztaCCw

By the way before this I had left Ingrid Michaelson's music there for a few weeks. The main reason I did it was because Amy had included some of Ingrid's songs in her wedding video.

1 comment:

northberger said...

I thought I better comment for JaNae on this topic since she's still in Greece.

She mentioned a few weeks ago that she liked Regina Spektor's music. Dan, it looks like you're following the musical interests of my children (I think you discovered Sufjan shortly after Tyler). Should we ask Alyssa who she recommends?

Did you notice that you can listen to all of Regina's latest CD, 'Far', at NPR's site?
http://snipurl.com/kljq1