Friday, February 10, 2006

Google Earth - wow!

I finally got around to downloading the Google Earth program which Mark recommended about 4 months ago, and. . .wow!

Dean and Kurt and the Lindstroms are planning a trip to Alaska this summer and I was wondering about climbing Sheep Mountain in the Kluane Range again (see postings in early Oct & Nov). I couldn't find a topographic map on the internet so I tried Google Earth. Here's what I got. Not only is it there, but I can zoom in and move around. I followed, for example, the river to the west up into the glacier fields. Then for the fun of it I "flew" to Moscow and looked around, then over to the Grand Canyon and ended up back in Alaska wandering around Mount McKinley. Has anyone else taken Mark's suggestion and tried Google Earth?

4 comments:

northberger said...

I was one of the first to use Google Earth. It used to be called Keyhole. I was so impressed with the demo that I actually paid for it - this was about a year ago. A few months later they offered it free to everyone.

About half of Roseau is high-resolution and half isn't. We're fortunate enough to live in the high-res half. Here's what our neighborhood looks like:
http://www.crosswordese.com/Images/roseau.JPG

ms said...

Paul, I suppose you run several laps around that track behind your house to keep in shape?

northberger said...

Actually, I don't like tracks. This is my normal daily route:
http://www.crosswordese.com/Images/walk.JPG
It's about a mile.

By the way, a great site for measuring your walking distance is the Gmaps Pedometer:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Dancelot said...

I showed Peter and Jonathan the track and field immediately behind your house and they both were immediately consumed with the sin of envy - and yet, you "don't like tracks"? Oh, well.

By the way, many months ago I felt compelled to designate Paul the "puzzle master" of the family. I now feel it necessary to also designate him the "internet master" of the family. This is embarrassing. He's a skinny little runt of a kid. How can we let him do this to us? Somebody needs to put him in his place.