Friday, April 06, 2007

Kind of Blue

It was suggested that we review favorite CDs, books, etc. and it just happened that here I was with a couple minutes to spare! How rare.
First let me catch you up with the job situation. I worked the past 10 days at another place, which went quite well, I think! The superviser said he'd talk to the owner, possibly today, and then we'll sit down and talk. A veteran of the place told me he thinks I'll be hired. We'll see!
Meanwhile over the past month or so I've been contacted by a head hunter. (Resume on Monster) and have talked with Colorado Printing Co. in Grand Junction, CO. They really seem to like me, and I even considered going out and looking around with Denise, but I really feel like we're not done with MN yet. It has been exciting pondering the possibilities though. Does anyone have any Grand Junction memories? I don't think I ever got off the freeway and went to town.

Now, back to an old favorite album. If you asked most jazz lovers for a top ten list of best all-time jazz albums this would be on most of their lists. It's definitely one of my favorites. My only regret is that I didn't discover it until a few years ago. All these years and I only started appreciating it recently. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. Recorded March2&April22, 1959 in New York. Very innovative for recording sessions in that they were almost entirely improvisational. Just very limited sketches of what they were to play thrown together just hours before the sessions by Miles. Check them out some time!

2 comments:

DeanTheBean said...

You do not have permission to leave MN. My recollection of Grand Junction brings only unhappy memories...

This will be interesting to see posts on music, books, etc. because everyone has their own tastes. We comment on music at work sometimes as I moan about the sickening muzak. One of the guys I work with likes the old crooners. I wouldn't think of downloading an old crooner from iTunes, but it got me thinking about Dean Martin. And then it got me thinking about our childhood trip to Chicago and the Sammy's pizza... (Remember my Memories post from last March 2006?) And then I downloaded "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime".

It seems a lot of my new music discoveries come from someone else, not so much something I discovered on my own.

I don't know much about jazz. It's interesting, I don't usually go for "instrumental" music. I like vocals. I like the "old jazz" with the woman "bee baa bo bah-ing" if you get what I mean. And I do like going to sleep on Saturday nights listening to "The Jazz Image" radio show and I especially like the
'Alice Babs & Duke Ellington" interludes that they play as kind of their theme music.

Anonymous said...

Back in the late '70s Mark P and I went skiing in Colorado during spring break. We skiied at five different resorts in five days. It was the least expensive ski vacation in the history of the sport. I'm quite sure I didn't spend more than $200 total. I'm pretty sure we had one of our few actual restaurant meals, a breakfast, in Grand Junction after a night in an extremely cheap hotel, about 40 miles away, the night before. I think this may have been the day we skiied at Aspen. (I don't remember what we had for breakfast.) I think I'll look for a picture to post from that trip...

Jazz... I liked jazz about 20 years ago. I guess I still like live jazz. I find my tastes gravitating towards celtic these days.

I have both a music post and a book post in my head - I'll try to spit them out in a few days.