Sunday, April 15, 2007

Velvet Elvis

Hi, we Lakevillains just entered the world of hi-speed internet. So I'm flying around the eRound and ms says he had a lot of responses on his weather report of 3/17! I don't know anything about the emerging church technology, but I know everything is changing fast! Fasten your seat belts. Mars Hill was mentioned; have you read Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. One of the best books I've read in recent years. I haven't heard any of his sermons, but his writing and some of his testimony of starting this church in Grand Rapids, MI is amazing. Just the fact that within months of the first service (maybe weeks) there were hundreds attending.

Have I mentioned my favorite preacher/teacher aRound here? Bill Johnson is in Redding, CA and you can sample his style in weekly free podcasts at iBethel.org. I've heard him speak a few times in the past year in the Twin Cities area. I now consider him my other pastor. Also his books are more of my favorites. A couple examples are: When Heaven Invades Earth and The Power of a Transformed Mind. It's been about a year since I first heard of him and now I feel like he's an old friend!

Has this turned into another book review?

Unemployment update: I was off last week. The last place I put in ten days of work, but they can't afford to hire me due to lack of jobs being sold. Apparently the printing business is still a little slow around here. So I'm still looking and waiting and wondering what's next!

3 comments:

ms said...

I read Velvet Elvis and it was real good. Also read one of the Bill Johnson books. My memory is so bad i will have to read them again.
Hope you find some work. Has the internet hurt the publishing business?

grandmajean said...

This is a test. The site has not been accepting my password lately so I updated it and we'll see.

grandmajean said...

Praise God, it finally worked again. I hadn't done anything to change it as far as I know. I'll write more later. I haven't had much sleep in the last few days.