Monday, August 11, 2008

Impure Thoughts (MGGGG 2)

The interesting thing about Graham is not so much the graham flour he invented but why and how it came about.

Sylvester was a Presbyterian minister whose passion was how diet affected morals. It was his view that many of the diseases and ills of society were caused by impure thoughts of a sexual nature and that the cause of impure thoughts was the eating of meat and processed white flour.

He developed the Graham Diet to help people control their passions! He was a strict vegetarian and one of the first opposed to the addition of chemicals and additives. Since he was opposed to "excitability" in any form he banned the use of spices - even pepper.

His diet was, in the 1850's, as popular as the Atkins Diet was a few years ago. Followers called themselves Grahamites. They formed societies and published magazines. Graham went up and down the East Coast delivering impassioned lectures to thousands at a time.

6 comments:

Dancelot said...

Did I miss something? How come this "Spanish Word of the Day" is showing up. I'm so used to ignoring all the pop ups and adds at the sites I visit that I found myself doing that here. But I all of a sudden went "wait a minute" this isn't an ad. Who did this? Why do you want us all to become fluent in Spanish?

northberger said...

Yeah - I kind've noticed it but I thought it was an ad also. I just sort of assumed it was Mark trying to earn a little extra money. Didn't its birth coincide with Mark's retirement and oil stocks going south?

Anonymous said...

What a luscious burger I'm lusting for! All that delicious fat of every kind; I hope it doesn't lead to any worse cravings, perhaps like perro caliente? "You don't want to know what's in THEM!"

Dancelot said...

I think Greg did it! By the way, Greg, I don't think you would do very well on the Graham diet. Your tastes prove you to be a highly "excitable" person.

Dancelot said...

I entered "perro" into a spanish/english dictionary and the first definition I encountered contained a naughty word! I don't think my "grandfather" would approve.

DeanTheBean said...

Duh! Kurt and I are trying to learn Spanish...

I just bumped into this widget somewhere. It says "word of the day". I wonder why there are about 10.

I'll take it out of the blog sometime...

Hmm. There must be a lot of interesting widgets out there...