Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Few Comments

1. Jo came downstairs while I was viewing the site and I began to show her what has been posted recently. (She is not a computer person.) And as I moved backwards through the posts I came upon spectacular photos from Mark that I never saw before. How did that happen? I thought, after Dean issued a warning about previous posts, that I had gone back and looked. Did I not go back? Were others posted afterwards?

2. Mark, I would really really really appreciate it if you could copy your photos of our trip on a cd and send them down here. If you do, I'll make sure the others get a copy of it.

3. An odd thing. . .whenever I post something, I can return to the site hours later and my post still doesn't appear on my computer. For example, my post of old Alaska Highway photos was posted before supper and it is now 10 p.m. and I still can't see it. The wierd thing is this. . .once when this happened I went to my edit place and viewed what I had tried to post and others were already adding comments while it still didn't exist on my computer!

4. I doubt if it is possible, but if anybody could figure out a way to save the record of what's gone on at this site since Mark started it a year ago, it would be a valuable artifact for posterity.

6 comments:

ms said...

Dan, when i add a new post to the blog i have to hit the refresh button and then the new page comes up. Also in the tools section of your web browser you might have to check the button that looks for the newest page, otherwise it just takes an old page stored on your computer and puts that one up because that is quicker than loading a whole new page.
PS i like the old alcan photos.

grandmajean said...

Dan, I had the same problem with missing some Alaska pictures. There were some pictures I had missed a few weeks ago and enjoyed those. Then, a few days ago I found some more pictures I had missed. That is the first time I remember missing so many pictures. Dan, is that dirt rod an example of what the Alcan highway used to look like as far as puddles, no pavement? I remember Mom talking about how difficult the trek to Alaska used to be in the 50's and perhaps much later than that. I wouldn't know because I have never traveled it.

northberger said...

Dan, regarding #2 - if just clicking refresh doesn't work for you, try clicking refresh while holding down the ctrl key.

Regarding #4 - I think I mentioned something about this once. I assume your concern is that 'Blogger' may not be around forever and we should try to have all of this on CDs.

It wouldn't be difficult but it sure would be time consuming. You'd think there would be a small business out there somewhere doing this sort of thing...

DeanTheBean said...

I think blogger still has bugs... I have various odd things happen from time to time. I just go back later and try again.

Dancelot said...

Mark mentioned the "tool section of my web browser". Using a little imagination I can imagine what that means, but I have always been on AOL and I don't even know what a web browser is. But I'm going to have to learn soon. AOL has announced that they are going the way of google and yahoo. . .that is absolutely free to those who have any way to access the web. So I have two choices in the near future 1. stay with aol and pay a ton of money for what others get free or 2. get online another way (hispeed? broadband?) and continue to use aol for free. I'll probably choose the latter and then the "tool section" of my "web browser" may make more sense to me. But I have a feeling that Mark's analysis of my problem is correct.

ms said...

for #4...you could easily save each of the monthly archives by using save as under file. Then put it in your documents. Then put it on a CD. The problem with that is that you can only save the comments by doing each individual post... Often the comments were as good as the original posts.