Wednesday, October 31, 2007

61, 62, 63


Ok, the main puzzle I'm working on is this.

1. The vast majority of slides were loose and scrambled. I sorted them by film size and identical frames. The largest batch had white frames with no markings.

2. It soon became apparent that the vast majority of the blank batch were from the period after Ruth met John and were no earlier than '65 and no later than '67. All at East 5th St.


3. But there are about a dozen loose slides from that batch which just don't seem to fit the time frame. e.g. the one with the kids and Helen about to go on vacation.

3. Besides the loose slides there are four groups of slides in their original boxes and all before Lindstroms came on the scene. The boxes are labeled 1957, 1958, 2/16/1961, and 1963.

4. The first three boxes contain slides with a different frame than the 1965-1967 batch. Also they are all carefully numbered with pencil in a gentle delicate script that I assume is Helen's handwriting. So none from the loose batch can belong with them.



5. But the fourth box which I thought was labeled 1963, upon looking closer is actually labeled 1961, 1962, 1963 and all the slides within are identical to the '65-'67 batch.

6. There's another label on that particular box in a different ink color that says"Circle Tour, OshKosh and Wells".

7. So I'm assuming 1961 is identical with "Circle Tour" and would include the loose slides I found with Helen and Niagra Falls and small kids in a trailer.

8. But am I also correct in equating 1962 with "Osh Kosh" and 1963 with "Wells"?

9. And then is it possible that the Travailles spent some time in Osh Kosh such that '61 was the circle tour, '62 was a visit to the Travailles in Osh Kosh and '63 was a visit to the Watkins in Wells?




10. If this is correct then I should be able to unscramble the remainder of this blank batch by assigning them to 61-Circle Tour, 62-Travailles, and 63-Wells. Right?



5 comments:

ms said...

I think you are kind of correct. 1957 Paul was born. Sept 61 Mom died. Dad had a cousin in OshKosh (forgot the name) and another cousin in Wells (the Watkins).

We probably visited Travailles I think in Forest Lake or Hutchinson a few times, also Grandma Carlson in St.Paul a few times.

We even flew on a commercial plane to Chicago probably in 62 to see the Science museum and the zoo and a WW2 friend of Dad's.

Dancelot said...

Oh yeah, Watkins. I was thinking "Watkins" when I was saying "Wells". But you're saying that the Watkins lived in Wells. So is the man next to the plane Mr. Watkins? And there is another family I didn't recognize which is probably the cousin in OshKosh. My plan is not to get things in perfect order but just to group things so they arent completely jumbled. I'll post a few more shots regarding this issue but it might be best to simply have a category called 1962-1963 and leave it for Paul and the rest of you to fine tune it.

DeanTheBean said...

Travailles never lived in OshKosh, but I supposed they could have been with us in OshKosh, but I don't think so.

I remember our trip to OshKosh. About the only thing I remember is biking around their neighborhood. I remember one or more dead end street signs for some reason. Maybe they said something different than our dead end street signs in Duluth--like"not a thru street" or "no outlet"? Or maybe I had never seen any dead end street signs before and I was wondering why they made dead end streets in the first place... I remember biking on these streets. Funny the things one remembers.

They must not have had any kids my age because I don't remember any kids. I don't think I remember the house at all.

I seem to have a vague recollection of touring around the town looking at buildings. Didn't the father teach at the university or something? Maybe we drove around and saw that?

grandmajean said...

I did confirm with Daniel that that was John Watkins by the plane. I do remember being really excited about being on plane but in those days I got sick on any mode of transportation.
Travaille's wouldn't have been with us to Oshkosh. They probably knew of them from Dad talking about them but wouldn't have known them. Dad's cousins were pretty close to him since he didn't have any siblings.

greg said...

I remember the plane ride and doing a bit of roller-coastering which I loved.