Saturday, October 27, 2007

Upward and Onward!

Okay, enough levity. Back to the batch I'm finishing up. It's looking like it's clearly from 1966 to 1967. One last thing to clear up. There are a lot of vacation photos and I frankly have few recollections of them. Where did we go? Was there one long vacation from the black hills to yellowstone to pike's peak etc. or were these separate vacations taken over two or more summers? And then there are a few scattered photos, which I think are out of order, from a magnificent falls (Niagra?) which I'm positive I have never visited. My one recollection, and it doesn't enhance my reputation, is sitting in the back of a station wagon, facing backwards, and having a great time driving Jean crazy for hours on end.

7 comments:

ms said...

Great photo of everyone in shorts. My memory is terrible, but i remember riding to the top of pikes peak in a train, and that's why we all made it to the top. I think that the next year when they went on a trip out west to the Grand Canyon and California Dan and i stayed home to work and have some fun of our own. It probably would have been better to go on the trip.

I cannot remember picking on Jean at all, we always treated her like a princess.

northberger said...

Were there no bathrooms at the peak?

grandmajean said...

I do recall being picked on! I guess I wasn't too easy to live with either as I've heard from some of you. I remember both Mom and Dad complaining if we read or did other things during those long hours in the car. I wouldn't remember things well and Mom and Dad would say it was because I wasn't watching the scenery all the time. Frankly I don't watch all the time, now. I love having time to read or do needlework while I ride.

greg said...

Have any of you been back to Pike's Peak since? Denise and I took in the Peak this summer; I didn't remember how breathtakingly beautiful the train ride is. The wind chill was in the twenties in August.

DeanTheBean said...

I don't think I saw much. My glasses were too dark...

grandmajean said...

We haven't been back but would love to get out there some time. There are many things to see in this great country of ours!

ms said...

My glasses were too thick.