Saturday, December 17, 2005

Christmas Controversy








I'm taking a break from my well-deserved self-imposed Christmas blog-posting holiday to discuss salt and pepper shakers.

When Faith asked JaNae to fill the salt and pepper shakers today we discovered that we weren't sure which one to put the salt in - the one with more holes or less. When I did some research, to my surprise, I found that this is something that is not set in stone (http://ask.yahoo.com/20040126.html).

I pointed out to my daughters that this is controversial (I pronounced the ending: SEE-uhl). Of course, being my daughters, they corrected me saying the ending should be pronounced: shuhl. Well, I couldn't let that stand. I went back to the computer... Merriam-Webster exonerated me showing that both pronunciations are valid.

Meanwhile, since the authorities allowed us to decide for ourselves which shaker to put the salt in, JaNae chose to pour into Mr. Snowman, the one with more holes in the head. And pour she did. After wondering why the shaker didn't seem to be filling up she concluded it might be a good idea to plug those little holes when pouring.

No comments: