Friday, September 30, 2005

Blogging and Community

I saw North's last post where he said he liked blogging and I had to respond...

I like blogging too!

I'm going to have to spend a lot more time than just the few minutes I have right now to write about this topic, but I'll jot a few things down right now...

I have a love-hate relationship with technology. When I used to be out in the field picking weeds for Kurt's CSA farm, I would think about technology. It was an interesting feeling. I felt "connected to the Earth" or something when I was picking weeds. I would wonder "what good is technology? It is good to be out here in the field picking weeds. This is "low tech". This is reality, life, death, soil, etc."

Sometimes when I'm sitting at my computer at home--especially when I feel pressure to be there, as in trying to finish a project for work, or especially when the weather is really nice outside--I have to ask myself, "Is this what God wants me to be doing? Sitting at a desk all day pressing buttons on a computer?? Indoors?"

But then there is blogging. Blogging seems to be a wonderful way to "build community". Most people probably would agree that building community is a good thing.

That's all for now. I'm supposed to be working.

1 comment:

ms said...

I like blogging also. It lets us common non-geek folks have our own platform to say whatever we want and be a part of the WORLD WIDE WEB!!! We do not have to complain about the media because we can now easily be the media.

Some ideas i would like to see on our blog would be favorite books, movies, recipies, puzzles from Paul, cartoons and even sermons. Also i wish i knew how to set up some links to some favorite websites.