Monday, November 14, 2005

Test Your Strength Here

I posted a silly test a few posts back (for Paul only). Here is a test I take very seriously. I have been following the work of the social scientist Martin Seligman for years. Through careful research over 20 years they have concluded that a key ingredient in a happy life is to know what moral virtues you have been gifted with and then structuring your life so you can practice those virtes on the job, in the home etc. . . things like courage, patience, temperence, love, wisdom. This test takes a good 40 minutes. I'd be curious to see what virtues the test says are your strengths. If you show me yours (in the comment section) I'll show you mine.
Take the test here.
You can learn a little more his ideas and take other tests here.
This is my first attempt to use links. It's easier than I thought it would be.

2 comments:

ms said...

Years ago i read a great book by him called LEARNED OPTIMISM. A few years later i read parts of a book AUTHENTIC HAPPINESS also by Seligman. I will have to take the test.

DeanTheBean said...

Here's my feedback from the test... I have a hard time taking tests like this because I keep wanting to answer questions the way I would like to see myself rather than the way I really am. Nevertheless, I think this is fairly accurate. It's nice that they present the results in a positive light, because I saw a lot of negative in myself (things I would like to change about myself) while taking the test.

======================================
Feedback

1 Humor [playfulness]
You like to laugh and tease. You bring smiles to other people. You see the light side. You make(but don't necessarily tell) jokes.

2 Forgiveness and mercy
You forgive those who have done wrong. You give people a second chance. You are not vengeful.

3 Curiosity [interest, novelty-seeking, openness to
You take an interest in all of ongoing experience for its own sake. You find subjects and topics fascinating. You explore and discover.

4 Citizenship [social responsibility, loyalty, teamwork
You work well as a member of a group or team. You are loyal to the group. You do your share.

5 Vitality [zest, enthusiasm, vigor, energy]
You approach life with excitement and energy. You don't doing things halfway or halfheartedly. You live life as an adventure. You feel alive and activated.