Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Three More on the Mountain

As I recall Bill quit early on. We thought a couple hours more and we'd be at the top, but that only got us about half way. We started to worry if we could make it to the top and back before dark and almost quit a few times. Here's three more I found, but I had to do some "cleanup".
None of us had climbed a mountain in awhile and we were continually being fooled by the sense that we were almost there when we weren't. By the way it was definitely my camera. I have the slides. In this shot I'm the one who is missing.
This is the spot where all thoughts of quitting vanished. About half-way between the middle of the picture and the left edge there is a mountain sheep watching our ascent. He's a lookout guard there to protect the herd. We started scrambling and within fifteen minutes we had more spectators.

7 comments:

Dancelot said...

Since I'm not in these photos, Mark must be right about the first two being taken with a timer. I did have a pretty good SLR camera with a tripod. But that would mean that those pictures were posed. When I look at the photos from that perspective I think I detect some smirks.
By the way I'm still looking for the climax photos taken on top. They were breathtaking. I fear they may be gone.

ms said...

I didn't say that about the timer. someone must have used my login. It is the same person who has a broken printer. who is it?

I was going to mention that when you climb a mountain, when you get to the top on one hill there is another hill to climb and another and another... eventually the top comes.

northberger said...

I had a wonderful picture of the herd grazing at the top. Of course it burned up in the fire.

I can't believe this was your first time climbing a mountain, Dan. With all your trips to Alaska and the Yukon that surprises me. I made sure to devote a day to climbing a mountain with the kids when we went to Yellowstone a few years ago. It was great, but not quite as climactic as Sheep Mountain. Thanks for the pictures.

DeanTheBean said...

What mountain did you climb in Yellowstone. We were going to camp at the base of a mountain in the backcountry and then hike up the mountain the next day, but that campsite was already taken.

northberger said...

I think it was called Bunsen.

Dancelot said...

This was NOT my first mountain. All I said was none of us had climbed a mountain RECENTLY. Grrrrr. You're just baiting me.

Dancelot said...

Paul's climax gets burned up. Dan's are destroyed by water. Dean accidentally opens his camera and destroys all evidence. I sense a pattern here.