Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Gig Is Up!

Sunday. Celebrated Dean and Jo's birthdays at Dean and Kurt's farm.



But here's the interesting thing. Dean was acting wierd all afternoon. Subjects would come up in the conversation and he'd look at me as if he expected some light to come on in my mind that would resolve some grand mystery. I was clueless. The topics that would evoke his manic expressions revolved around 1. their cats 2. Dean's car 3. a large number of dead and fallen trees they were working on removing.

Finally, Dean could tolerate my obtuseness no longer and asked me, "Have you read my blog entry about our cute cats?" Well, of course. I was mildly insulted that he would think I haven't been paying close attention to the family blog. "Did I notice anything odd about those picture?" No, I responded. Cute cats doing cute things. I got it.

Finally Dean could hold it in no longer. Those pictures were not about the cats at all! The dialogue about cats was a tongue-in-cheek playfulness on his part to highlight the obvious story in the pictures that a large tree had fallen with a direct hit on his new car. Well I was embarrassed, dumfounded and shamed all at the same time.

But here's the deal. . .don't any of you dare claim that you were in on the joke from the beginning! There is no evidence in posts or comments to back you up. And I am expecially referring to Little Brother Paul (aka The Puzzle Master). I don't mind going down as long as The Puzzle Master goes with me.

8 comments:

northberger said...

Trees fall on cars every day don't they?

grandmajean said...

I'm sorry, but I don't even remember the blogs about the cute cats. Anyway, I was also sorry to hear about your car, Dean. Is that an act of God? How is that covered by insurance?
We truely felt blessed that we sustained little damage in the storm that hit in our area last Fall when we lost 2 trees. It's hard enough to get our grass back after having boughs lay on it for a month or so prior to the branches being picked up.

ms said...

Is the car driveable? Or is it destroyed? Looks like it just missed your house, the tree i mean. I don't know if i really noticed the cat blog because of the rush to name everyone in the old photo.

Dancelot said...

Dean told me he was watching out the window as the tree fell! What are the odds of that happening?
By the way. . .I baked that cake. Isn't it a beautiful cake?

grandmajean said...

Another comment, Mark, you will probably be jealous. I made Strawberry Rhubarb custard pie with meringue for my "cake".

Dancelot said...

Is that some kind of wise-crack about my cake?

DeanTheBean said...

The collision center said they get about 3 cars a year that had a tree fall on them. Lots of times they're totaled. This estimate came in at about $1500. Cheap these days...

Yes, it was a delicious cake Dan.

grandmajean said...

No Dan, I just know that Mark likes Rhubarb Custard Pie. Ralph so far hasn't even attempted to make a cake for my birthday so you're years ahead of him!