Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Hello?

On Saturday our computer was acting wierdly. By Sunday it was evident we had been infected by a nasty virus. Windows were popping up trying to delete un-named files. At one time a window said, "are you sure you want to put My Computer in the recycle bin?" After much struggle and many conversations, given the age of the computer, we decided to get a new computer. (Dean was a great help!)
Well, we're back. With a new Gateway. Old memory was 256. . .new over 1000 and with a duel core it's 1000 times 2. Old hard-drive was 40. . .new over 250. Etc. So I'll spend a day or two examining what I missed the last few days, and then try to get back to scanning and recording slides.
Boy, getting a new computer up to speed is a pain! Of course you first have to get the thing running, but beyone that I had to redo the printer, the scanner, the WEB access, the digital camera and on and on.

6 comments:

DeanTheBean said...

Gee. The last time I bought a computer, I was thinking how easy they had made it. I had the thing completely running in just a couple hours.

Dancelot said...

Well, I have to admit that there were no glitches and confusing instructions (like the old days). Things went smoothly, there was just a lot that needed to be done. And now I have to think about recovering e-mail addresses, web sites, photos, the kid's i-pod music, word documents, and on and on.

ms said...

My computer has been acting wierd also (it can't even spell anymore). The screen has horizontal lines going across it when i scroll up and down. When scrolling sideways there are verticle lines instead of just a smooth moving screen. Another thing is when trying to shutdown the computer the "standby/hibernate" button is not available or working. This happened after i installed an aquarium screen saver and a day later we had a 1/2 hour power outage. We had just gotten a standby laptop computer a few weeks earlier.

DeanTheBean said...

Speaking of acting wierd. This blogger site still has bugs. Now when I'm looking at this comment window, both Mark's and my photos have been replaced by a rectangle that says: "alaska robin" and "deanthebean".

And Dan, I forgot about recovering all the "other" programs and data--you're right, that's a hassle.

ms said...

I'm using firefox and this comment section is normal with the photos.

DeanTheBean said...

So am I. It's working fine now.